A laser is a very versatile tool and has a lot of medical applications. It’s not surprising that it is used in dentistry as well. There are several innovative treatments and solutions that utilize special lasers to provide the best results.
At Peters Family Dentistry, we like to stay ahead of the curve and use the latest dental technology in our treatments. If our dentist believes your concern requires a special laser treatment, they will recommend one for you.
All our laser treatments are tried and tested, so you can trust their safety and effectiveness. While lasers are relatively new in the field of dentistry, they have been around for several years and have gained the confidence of experienced dentists.
What Can Laser Be Used For?
Laser treatment has many applications in this field, which is one of the reasons why so many dentists have started to invest in this treatment option. Here’s a look at the different kinds of treatments we can use laser technology in:
- Treating serious infections in the root
- Easing cold sore and canker sore pain.
- Removing gum inflammation.
- Conducting biopsies.
- Helping wisdom teeth emerge.
- Repairing damaged nerves.
- Removing problematic throat tissue that cause sleep apnea.
- Treating gum disease.
- Reshaping gums.
- Extracting oral tumors.
These are just some of the many treatments an experienced dentist can administer through sophisticated laser dental equipment.
What Are The Advantages?
These treatments have several advantages that make them ideal for all kinds of patients. Here are some reasons why many patients choose laser dental treatments:
- Patients often don’t require anesthesia and experience less pain.
- There’s might not be a need for sutures and the patient doesn’t experience too much blood loss.
- The healing time and process are
- Laser sterilizes gum tissue, which reduces the chances of infection.
- The treatment is much more comfortable and less intimidating than regular treatments.
As you can see, there are numerous benefits to this treatment option. We understand that many are hesitant to try out laser treatments. Our dentist will take the time to explain the procedure and its benefits to you clearly so you can make an informed decision regarding your treatments.
Different Types of Lasers
Dentists use two different kinds of lasers during the treatment process. These two options are hard tissue lasers and soft tissue lasers. Here’s a look at how these two options work:
- Hard Tissue Lasers – This laser is used primarily to treat teeth and is capable of cutting through bone & water. The laser can penetrate calcium phosphate, which is present in your teeth. This laser can be used to treat things like cavities, tooth sensitivity, and can prepare the teeth for dental fillings.
- Soft Tissue Lasers – Soft tissue lasers have a lighter wavelength so both water and hemoglobin absorb them easily. This ensures the laser can work easily on gum concerns. This laser can cut soft tissue, sterilize tissue, promote quicker healing, seal blood vessels, etc. The soft tissue laser is used for lengthening crowns, dealing with restricted tongue movement, removing oral tissue folds, reshaping gums, and other such treatments.
Most dentists will have both of these lasers to provide the most comprehensive treatment to their patients. Laser treatments are far more comfortable than traditional treatments because you don’t feel any kind of drilling or scraping sensation. The dentist will administer mild anesthesia before proceeding with it. The treatment will seem much like a regular dentist appointment.
The post-operative experience is much more comfortable as well. Your injuries will heal quickly and there will be a lower risk of infections. That’s one of the reasons why many people prefer laser dental treatments.
If you want to know more about our laser dentistry services, don’t hesitate to give us a call at Peters Family Dentistry. You can also book in a consultation and discuss your treatment options with our experienced and reliable dentist.